The smart choice for
Upgrade to breathtaking NVMe™ speed
It’s time to maximize your PC’s potential with the 980. Whether you need a boost for gaming or a seamless workflow for heavy graphics, the 980 is the smart choice for outstanding SSD performance, and it’s all backed by an NVMe™ interface and PCIe® 3.0 technology.
* The NVM Express™ design mark is a registered trademark of NVM Express™, Inc.
Packed with speed
Get right to it. The 980 harnesses nearly all the speed advantages of PCIe® 3.0 through HMB technology and dramatic NVMe™ efficiency.
The DRAM-less design delivers exceptional value, achieving breakneck sequential read/write speeds up to 3,500/3,000 MB/s*, over 6.2x the speed of SATA SSDs.
* Performance may vary depending on the SSD’s firmware version and the system hardware and system configuration. Performance measurements are based on IOmeter 1.1.0.
The write performances were measured with Intelligent TurboWrite technology activated.
Intelligent TurboWrite operates only within a specific data transfer size. For detailed information, please contact your local service center.
* Test system configuration: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz,DDR4 2133MHz 8GBx2 OS-Windows 10 Pro 64bit Asrock Z-170 Extreme7+
* Results are based on a comparison with Samsung SATA SSDs.
* HMB (Host Memory Buffer) technology enables the SSD to use the DRAM of the host system for read/write caching and buffering
Keep moving with Full Power Mode
Keep your SSD running at peak level for nonstop, consistent high performance with Full Power Mode. Switch it on through Samsung Magician software to always keep your SSD in active mode. Instantly jump right back to intensive work with huge files, graphics-heavy games, or even normal PC usage.
Built for the long run
Keep your files safe with an SSD that’s in it for the long haul. With up to 600 TBW and a 5-year limited warranty, the 980’s optimized endurance comes with proven reliability thanks to Samsung’s in-house solutions, from the state-of-the-art controller to V-NAND and the latest firmware.
*TBW : Terabytes written
* Warrantied TBW for 980: 150 TBW for 250GB model, 300 TBW for 500GB model, 600 TBW for 1TB model.
* 5 years or TBW, whichever comes first. For more information on the warranty, please find the enclosed warranty statement in the package.
Reliable thermal control
High-performance SSDs usually require high-performance thermal control. To ensure stable performance, the 980 uses nickel coating to help manage the controller’s heat level and a heat spreader label to deliver effective thermal control of the NAND chip.
Embedded with Samsung’s cutting-edge thermal control algorithm, the 980 manages heat on its own to deliver durable and reliable performance. To minimize performance fluctuations in the long haul, Samsung’s Dynamic Thermal Guard technology maintains the 980’s temperature at optimal levels.
Samsung Magician software
Unlock the full power of the 980 with Samsung Magician’s intuitive yet advanced optimization tools. Monitor drive health, optimize performance, protect valuable data, and receive important updates with Magician to ensure you’re always getting the best performance out of your SSD.
World’s No. 1 Flash Memory
Experience superior performance and reliability that you can only get from the world’s number one brand for flash memory since 2003. All firmware and components, including Samsung’s world-renowned DRAM and NAND, are produced in-house, allowing end-to-end integration for quality you can trust.
* Source: 2003~2020 IHS Markit data: NAND suppliers’ revenue market share.
- Form Factor
- 250GB, 500GB, 1TB
- Sequential Read Speed
- Up to 3,500 MB/s
- Sequential Write Speed
- Up to 3,000 MB/s
Model Code (Capacity)1)
PCIe® Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe™ 1.4
80.15 x 22.15 x 2.38 (mm)
Max 8.0 g
Samsung V-NAND 3-bit MLC
Samsung In-House Controller
HMB(Host Memory Buffer)
GC (GARBAGE COLLECTION)
Auto Garbage Collection Algorithm
AES 256-bit Encryption (Class 0)
TCG/Opal IEEE1667 (Encrypted drive)
DEVICE SLEEP MODE SUPPORT
250GB: Up to 2,900 MB/s
500GB: Up to 3,100 MB/s
1TB: Up to 3,500 MB/s
250GB: Up to 1,300 MB/s
500GB: Up to 2,600 MB/s
1TB: Up to 3,000 MB/s
RANDOM READ (4KB, QD32)
250GB: Up to 230,000 IOPS
500GB: Up to 400,000 IOPS
1TB: Up to 500,000 IOPS
RANDOM WRITE (4KB, QD32)
250GB: Up to 320,000 IOPS
500GB: Up to 470,000 IOPS
1TB: Up to 480,000 IOPS
RANDOM READ (4KB, QD1)
250GB: Up to 17,000 IOPS
500GB: Up to 17,000 IOPS
1TB: Up to 17,000 IOPS
RANDOM WRITE (4KB, QD1)
250GB: Up to 53,000 IOPS
500GB: Up to 54,000 IOPS
1TB: Up to 54,000 IOPS
AVERAGE POWER CONSUMPTION
250GB: Average 3.7 W Maximum 5.6 W (Burst mode)
500GB: Average 4.3 W Maximum 5.9 W (Burst mode)
1TB: Average 4.6 W Maximum 5.3 W (Burst mode)
POWER CONSUMPTION (IDLE)3)
Max. 45 mW
POWER CONSUMPTION (DEVICE SLEEP)
Max. 5 mW
3.3 V ± 5 % Allowable voltage
1.5 Million Hours Reliability
0 – 70 ℃
1,500 G & 0.5 ms (Half sine)
5 Years or 150 TBW
5 Years or 300 TBW
5 Years or 600 TBW
- 1)Actual usable capacity may be less (due to formatting, partitioning, operating system, applications or otherwise)
- 2)Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- 3)Actual power consumption may vary depending on system hardware & configuration